Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Dad/Grandpa Has Surgery

So, today my Dad had what you would consider major surgery as he was at Mayo for open heart surgery. My brother and I traveled to Rochester to spend the time with him and my Mom during his surgery. I don't know all the medical terms and given that it's a bit late and I'm exhausted, I just thought I'd share what he went through. As I write this, the surgery went as planned and he is in the ICU and doing well. He will get his breathing tube out later tonight and should be awake tomorrow and be responsive to visitors. When I saw him earlier tonight, he looked good for someone who just had major surgery. He does have a number of tubes and wires hooked up to him but he just looks good. I held his hand for a quick minute and it was just really good to see him and know that he'll be awake tomorrow.

Surgery
6:00 - Dropped Mom and Dad off at hospital for his preliminary tests
10:00 - Has Angiogram which shows 2 partially blocked arteries that they will "fix" during surgery in addition to other issues
1:12 - rolled into surgery
2:40 - Working on releasing vessels so can be rerouted Not on heart and lung machine yet. A double bypass is reported
3:30 - Aorta vale will also be repaired/replaced
4:10 - Put on heart and lung machine
5:55 - Off bypass
7:00 - In ICU, normal rhythm without a lot of meds. Will be on ventilator for 4-5 hours.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. We really appreciate it as it was an emotional day for all of us and I know my Dad will need the positive vibes as he recovers in the coming months!

1 comment: