Sunday, September 13, 2009

Food, Glorious Food!

Owen and I went on a food tasting and cultural walking tour on Saturday in the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhoods in Chicago with our friends Jason and Terry. Mother Nature cooperated and we had a beautiful day! We met our guide, Ben, at George's Hot Dogs around noon to start the tour. As could be expected our first food item was a Chicago style hot dog. I have to admit this was the first Chicago style hot dog I ever had. I'm a ketchup kinda girl so I never have the true Chicago style dog.

After George's we went to Hot Chocolate (http://www.hotchocolatechicago.com/) and had one of the best chocolate drinks I've ever tasted. I don't remember what it was called or what was in it but it was fabulous! It was served with a house made marshmallow that was pretty good too. As if we weren't stuffed already we went to the third stop, Goddess & Grocer. We had a taste of a antipasto salad that was really good too. Luckily after that stop we did quite a bit of walking to work up our appetite again. We were already pretty stuffed and we had three more places to go. The fourth stop was Piece (http://www.piecechicago.com/flash/index.html) which is a restaurant and brewery. We had a taste of pizza and some of their own brewed beer. The next stop was Sultan's Market (http://chicagofalafel.com/) which is a Middle Eastern food store and deli. Owen had his first falafel sandwhich! The last place was iCream (http://www.icreamcafe.com/). This isn't your typical ice cream store. They make your ice cream on the spot using liquid nitrogen. Pretty cool to watch them make it and it was yummy!

After three hours of eating and walking we weren't ready to go home yet. We stayed in the Bucktown area and found a bar where we sat outside and enjoyed great weather and good friends. It was a great time people watching too! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Glad that you guys got out and did some "touristy" stuff. Seems like we travel all over but forget to do the stuff in our own "back yards." Good for you! Sounds like an awesome tour. Pass along that contact information for the tour when you get a chance please! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - we made your blog!! Great pictures and descriptions!!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete